The FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup 2009 has moved on to Asia, where China recently staged the eighth and ninth of twelve races in this year’s series. The big 10km winners continue to be world champion Thomas Lurz (GER) and Poliana Okimoto (BRA) who triumphed in races on 26 September 2009 in Shantou and 20 September 2009 in An Chun. Lurz has now taken seven gold medals on the circuit, which he aims to win, while Okimoto has picked up six gold and two silver medals.
Other familiar faces were bronze medallist and world champion Angela Maurer (GER) who took her series tally to five bronze and one silver medal, and Allan Do Carmo (BRA) with three bronze and a silver this season. Nadine Reichert (née Pastor) has also earned two silver and a bronze.
Medallists from Shantou (CHN), September 26:
1. Thomas Lurz (GER) 2:03:15
2. Allan Do Carmo (BRA) 2:03:17.22
3. Fran Crippen (USA) 2:03:17.92
1. Poliana Okimoto (BRA) 2:12:30
2. Nadine Reichert (GER) 2:12:50
3. Angela Maurer (GER) 2:12:54
Medallists from An Chun (CHN), September 20:
1. Thomas Lurz (GER) 1:55:10
2. Abrosimov Kirill (RUS) 1:55:12
3. Evgeny Drattsev (RUS) 1:55:16
1. Poliana Okimoto (BRA) 2:05:48
2. Nadine Reichert (GER) 2:05:49
3. Angela Maurer (GER) 2:05:51
The remaining races of the FINA 10km Marathon Swimming World Cup 2009: 4 October 2009 in Hong Kong (HKG), 17 October 2009 in Dubai (UAE), and 21 October 2009 in Sharjah (UAE).