Seahorse Swim 2013 Briefing Document and Update

Update 22 June: The 2013 Seahorse Swim will go ahead. On Saturday the sea was fairly flat at Knoll Beach and we will swim a course appropriate for a competent open water swimmer. The safety team will review conditions on Sunday and if there are ‘lumpy’ spots, will determine whether to shorten the course distance. See you there!

The swim is in aid of the Seahorse Trust and made possible by the kind support of the National Trust and RLSS Poole and Branksome Lifeguards.

Please click to download the briefing document which includes a briefing letter, course map and back-up course map (in pdf format). Please note competitors must still attend the safety briefing.

Update: On 11 June, the Committee met and decided to change to the alternative course shown in the Swimmer Briefing in view of colder sea temperatures than are normal for this time of year. Any decisions made on the day of the swim will be made purely on grounds of competitor safety and the safety of the volunteers providing the safety cover.

The alternative course is one that will follow the shore line to the furthest turn buoy and will be no further than 50 -100m off shore pending visibility. Competitors will swim on the seaward side on the out leg and then be asked to swim the return leg closer to shore, so as to avoid oncoming swimmers.

This year we will be carrying out registration in the car park and not on the beach.

Seahorse Swim 2013Please click to view competitor lists updated on 18 June 2013.

Due to the current lower than average sea temperatures we extended the period in which we allowed swimmers to change category (non-wetsuit / wetsuit). No further category changes will be permitted.

Please email us immediately if you wish to withdraw.

We look forward to seeing you on the day!


John Bolton